Inverse problems (IPs) have been traditionally considered as mathematically challenging because they are intrinsically ill-posed. There are many practical IPs in a variety of engineering disciplines requiring suitable mathematical tools for their robust/stable solution, by recovering the well-posedness typical of forward/direct problems through suitable regularization and information-acquisition/exploitation techniques. Since industry requires fast and simple algorithms for the solution of a wide variety of IPs arising in several engineering fields, this implies a growing need for users that do not have a very high degree of mathematical education.
The course will review fundamentals and main issues of IPs, then focusing on classical/ state-of-the-art and recently introduced inverse solution procedures and algorithms. Applicative examples including exercises will corroborate the theoretical concepts.
- Introduction and basics: motivations (methodological, applicative), synthesis and design problems in engineering as IPs;
- Formulation of IPs and numerical techniques for dealing with their resolution;
- Ill-posedness and non-linearity: on the role of information in IPs;
- Ill-posedness and the need for regularization;
- Non-linearity: physical meaning, degree of non linearity, the role of a-priori/available information;
- Solution of IPs as minimization/maximization of a cost-function/functional;
- Multi-resolution and information-acquisition strategies as an effective recipe to counteract illposedness and non-linearity;
- Applicative examples including exercises regarding specific engineering applications.
- Dr. ANSELMI Nicola (https://www.eledia.org/eledia-unitn/people/anselmi-nicola/)
- Prof. MASSA Andrea (https://www.eledia.org/eledia-unitn/people/massa-andrea/)
- Prof. OLIVERI Giacomo (https://www.eledia.org/eledia-unitn/people/oliveri-giacomo/)
- Dr. POLI Lorenzo (https://www.eledia.org/eledia-unitn/people/poli-lorenzo/)
- Prof. ROCCA Paolo (https://www.eledia.org/eledia-unitn/people/rocca-paolo/)
- Dr. SALUCCI Marco (https://www.eledia.org/eledia-unitn/people/salucci-marco/)
From: 25 July 2022
To: 29 July 2022
Onsite (Trento) and Online